Anila Kitteon

Anila Kitteon
Sniff the Daffs

Wednesday 3 October 2018

Chemo? Sweet...

I checked out the chemo suite today... it's two rooms, adjoining and there's a calm atmosphere. It's at the top of the hospital which gives a lovely view of roofs & trees. 🌲

I was there to have my portacath re-dressed. It was implanted (under my skin on left side, below collar bone) on 25th September; 8 days ago under local anesthetic and I was excited(?) to get to see it! All healing well, chemo will commence in 6 days time!

A portacath is a round device with a valve, attached to a line/catheter that is threaded into a vein and goes down into the heart. It can be used to give IV fluids, blood transfusions, chemotherapy & other drugs; it can also be used to take blood. It can stay in as long as is needed (must be used or flushed monthly).

I met the 3 Oncology Nurses and they happily answered my questions. Every single one of the workers - Volunteers, Nurses, Doctors etc etc. have been totally lovely actually. 💖

I learnt that I am currently "Chemo Niave", or as I like to say, a Chemo Virgin 😜, as my blood is still pure (lol) and hasn't yet been affected by chemotherapy (or as I like to call it, poison).

So here's my port after insertion and today... 



  

At the weekend, I joined a 5km walk called Race for the Cure; raising awareness & money for breast cancer etc. I knew I'd be with HG, Dad & his lady but wasn't aware 3 of their friends would be joining and then, once walking, was handed a phone to speak to Dad's Lady's son, daughter & their partners & pup - who were also walking in their town, Winnipeg!! Wowzer. Such love & support!

Here is my crew, warming up!!


  



Here is my boi & me on a delicious rainy walk. 💚
  

 

I'm feeling good - as good as I can be, with chemo approaching.

I was invited for a run this evening... I do feel like I need to do something before Tuesday, but don't want to disrupt the port either. I plan to get outside before every chemo treatment and be as active as I can during. Fingers crossed! ✌👍👌

Take care peeps xx

PS I couldn't wash my hair after the port op so I eventually went to the hairdresser... whilst there, I she gave me an undercut & snipped off 4 inches! :)

I've attended a Chemo Class and also a Look Good, Feel Better workshop.
So lucky!
 

 

 




  












No comments:

Post a Comment