Anila Kitteon

Anila Kitteon
Sniff the Daffs

Thursday 14 March 2019

Chemo Poem



8th December 2018
Chemo week 10 of 16
My hair was long & luscious;
a wavy, fuzz mess.
But since 2 months it's gone now
I've been left with much much less.

Being bald isn't so bad;
Quick showers: wash & go!
I try to run my fingers through it,
Alas I just touch bone!

This poison is to kill me
It's a funny kind of life...
We're on a journey to kill the cancer,
So I can keep being a wife.

I go from day to day
Feeding myself with goodness;
I know life will never be the same,
But it could be so much worse.

And so I'll skip & sing my way
through chemo and the lot.
Rads, hormone treatment, life goes on

I'll be giving it all I've got!




I just realised that I hadn't shared this!
Today I walked to the hospital and back (which I've been talking about doing since this journey began, 8 months ago!) and saw my favourite chemo nurses for my final port flush!

On my final day of chemo (14th Jan 2019) I wrote out a copy of this poem I'd written and I gave it to the chemo nurses. A few days later, one of the nurses called me and asked if I'd mind them publishing my poem in the hospital staff newsletter. I laughed and agreed. A few days passed and the nurse called again saying they wanted to add a photo and blurb of me in the newsletter 😆 so I popped down for a picture with the bell.

I'm still trying to get my hands on the newsletter, but I met another nurse today who told me she had loved the poem and that she had shown it to her friend (another staff member), who had recently been diagnosed with breast cancer, and that it had helped her feel much better. 💛

I have been asked to mentor for the Sunflower Warriors 🌻 support group and am applying to become a 'Big Sister' too. 🌼


No comments:

Post a Comment